november and the Texas standard possession order

This is my second go around on the standard visitation order for November in Texas.  You can see my first round here.  The song remains the same, only the dates have changed.  Actually that is not true.  Last year was the custodial parent’s Thanksgiving holiday and this year’s visitation belongs to the non-custodial parent.  That changes things a bit as you will see below.

The weekend visits this month are the 4th and 18th.  The parent with standard visitation will also get each Thursday this month (including Thanksgiving).  Pretty simple, right?

Now the hard part – the Thanksgiving holiday.  The age old question in most of our visitation battles is “when does school let out for the Thanksgiving holiday”?  If the child is off for the entire week of Thanksgiving, then visitation is a no-brainer.  The non-custodial parent gets visitation beginning Friday the 18th and keeps the child until the Sunday following the Thanksgiving holiday (or return to school Monday depending upon your order).  This includes if the Monday and Tuesday are “in-service” days or the kids are not otherwise in school.

However, if the children have school on Monday the 21st, then your weekend ends at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday the 20th or, depending upon your order, at the time school resumes that Monday.  Your next possession would begin when the child is let out of school for the Thanksgiving holiday, typically Tuesday or Wednesday in this scenario.  It will end on the Sunday following the holiday.  Your next possession will be in November.

It seems easy enough when I write this, but I know there will be a million questions as the holiday approaches.  I will do my best to answer each of your questions in a timely manner so feel free to comment.I hope everyone has a happy Halloween and Thanksgiving.  Talk to you next month.

, ,

9 Responses to november and the Texas standard possession order

1. Heather Buen November 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

Thanks for the clarification! Your blog is fantastic! I did not know about this since my children are not of regular school age yet, but thanks for the clarification.

2. Christina November 4, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

What about when the child is not of school age?

3. Victoria January 26, 2012 at 11:27 am #

When the child is not of school age, sometimes a standard possession order may direct the parents to base their holiday schedule off of the school calendar whose school district the custodial parent lives in. Check your order to see if this applies to you. If so, that would mean that even if your child is not in school, school holiday stipulations would still apply to you.

4. mario October 8, 2012 at 7:34 am #

If my custody case was finialized on sept 5 of this year will i have my childeren for Thanksgiving Holiday under standard possession order, I am the non-custodial parent

5. Chris Schmiedeke October 10, 2012 at 11:21 am #

What does your order say? It should be in there. That is what is controlling here. In a typical standard visitation schedule, the custodial parent gets Thanksgiving in even numbered years.

6. sam November 9, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

I am the custodial parent. Its emotionally hard being away from them. The ex is also an ex abuser and continues to harass in his own ways. The entire divorce etc was a debacle and he has standard and has convinced an entire community of his stellar character. Thus, I would ask what are ways to cope when you feel like the entire system is conspiring against you (but only because I did not have him jailed when I had the chance).

7. Chris Schmiedeke November 14, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Document everything, and bide your time until you have enough evidence to pursue a modification. The first step may be to contact a lawyer in your area and get some advise.

8. CP November 16, 2017 at 8:28 am #

WHAT if the 18th is NOT your weekend for visitation but the kiddos are out Monday through Friday? Since it says we get possession 6pm when kids are let out of school for the holiday, does that mean we pick them up Friday?

9. Chris Schmiedeke November 16, 2017 at 12:09 pm #

It means you get them at 6:00 p.m. when they are let out for Thanksgiving holiday. Whatever day that is.