texas standard possession order de-mystified – summer possession

Another misunderstood part of the Texas Standard Possession Order is the summer possession schedule.

If the parent with visitation (not the custodial parent) gives the parent with custody notice by April 1st of a given year they can pick thirty days for their summer possession (or 42 days if they live over 100 miles from the child). This thirty day period cannot begin until the day after school lets out for summer break and cannot end later than 7 days before the child goes back to school.

This thirty days cannot be exercised in more than two periods of at least 7 consecutive days. This means that you cannot pick four one-week possessions, or thirty random days.

If the parent does not give written notice by April 1st they get July 1st through July 31st by default. For parents who live more than 100 miles apart the default time is June 15 through July 27th. Pick up and drop off times are 6:00 p.m.

Once the summer possession has been set by either notice having been sent or not, the parent with custody can then set their summer possession schedule.

If the parent with custody gives the visiting parent notice by April 15th of a year, they can choose one weekend during the visiting parent’s thirty day extended summer visitation to exercise visitation with the child. The visit begins at 6:00 p.m. on Friday and ends at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday and that parent must pick up the child and drop the child off back to the other parent to finish their thirty day summer visitation. This allows the custodial parent to not have to go thirty days without seeing the child. For parents who live over 100 miles from each other, the parent can choose two non-consecutive weekends provided the visiting parent is exercising more than thirty days for their summer possession. This means that if the visiting parent is using the full 42 days in a row, the other parent can choose two non-consecutive weekends under this provision.

In addition to this one weekend, the custodial parent can designate another weekend, outside of the thirty day summer possession, when the visiting parent would have otherwise had a weekend visit. Remember from my original standard possession order weekend post that the weekends continue through the summer when there is no extended summer visitation occurring.

To get this weekend, the parent must give the other parent written notice by April 15th of a year or 14 days written notice if after April 15th. This weekend cannot conflict with the other parents thirty day extended summer possession or Father’s day if the other parent is the father. This provision allows the custodial parent to plan summer vacations with the child.

If the parents live over 100 miles from each other, the custodial parent can choose 21 days during the summer that would have otherwise gone to the visiting parent provided they provide the notice above and provided that the days chosen do not conflict with the extended summer possession of the visiting parent or with father’s day if the visiting parent is the father.

In my next post I will discuss holiday visits under the Texas Standard Possession Order.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

156 Responses to texas standard possession order de-mystified – summer possession

1. Denise January 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

The provision is until the child is 3 to get her visitation saturdays on the weekend as the 6yr old from 10-6pm. How does that work in the summer though?

2. Rachel March 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

NCP parent has given written notice for summer possession. CP gave written notice for the weekend she wants during that time. NCP was planning to be out of town during that time. The order states that CP can have that weekend provided she “picks up the kids from ‘NCP’ and returns them to that same place.” Does that mean NCP can still go out of town and CP has to travel there to pick them up and return them, or does NCP have to be accessible – meaning, in town?
    That sounds really confusing – I hope it makes sense.

3. Chris Schmiedeke March 2, 2012 at 9:53 am #

That is a really good question and I’ll be honest, I don’t know the answer. My feeling is that the intent of the notice statute, and the dates that have to be met, are designed so that the NCP does NOT make plans that would interfere with your weekend period of possession during his thirty days. That is why they are offset from each other by only a short period of time. My gut tells me that the NCP has to make the children available where they reside with the NCP when they have them, NOT where they are traveling to. Bottom line, there is no way it is in the best interest of the children to travel a great distance for only a weekend, and the Court cannot expect you to bare that cost to be able to see them on your court ordered weekend. If that were the case, then every NCP wanting to get back at the CP would make travel arrangements for the weekend that the CP chose.

Sorry I do not have a more definitive answer for you. I think your best bet is to contact a local attorney and see what they think and if it would be worth it to seek court intervention. Good luck.

4. Josh W. March 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

What makes more sense is the CP change the weekend and not try and get in the way of a planned vacation that is out out town… in most cases the CP is not choosing the weekend in the kids best interests they are choosing the weekend to try and cause the NCP more trouble….

I am currently dealing with the same issue, and if the CP continues to try and schedule this weekend while we are out of town with family and friends the CP will have to travel to us and back to us for this arrangement. OR keep it simple and choose the following weekend.

5. Nikki April 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Question: My order says that “the parent not otherwise entitled under this order to present posssession of a child on the child’s birthday shall have possession of the child beginning at 6pm and ending at 8 pm.” My child’s birthday is in the summer on a week day this year, and her father has requested that day, am I understanding my order correctly that I should get her at 6pm that day? He has tried to tell me that he gets her until 8pm. I would be greatly appreciative to anyone that can help me with this.

6. Chris Schmiedeke April 2, 2012 at 7:13 am #

If the father has possession of the child that day due to his visitation schedule, then you would get 6-8 p.m. If it is not a visitation day for him, and you would otherwise have possession, then the father gets the 6-8 p.m. Only one person is entitled to possession of a child each day. The birthday visit is for the parent who does NOT have the child the day.

You will most likely need to contact an attorney to help you as my post here is not likely to solve the problem. Good luck.

7. Amanda April 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Im the CP and the NCP sent me his two 14 consecutive day periods in the summer but they were not sererated by 7 consecutive days. Its past his deadline, April 1. Since his dates didnt meet the required 7 consecutive day period between them, does that men his dates are no longer valid until after I pick mine? Or does he have another chance to change his dates to meet the requirements of the 7 days between his weeks before I can choose my weeks?

8. Amanda April 14, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Hi Chris,

I have some questions regarding confusion on Extended Summer Possession. I am the CP. We live in different states and my daughter’s dad has just elected his “42 days” per the standard possession order we have set in place. I have heard two different things and I’m trying to figure out which is correct:

(A) When electing extended summer possession, he gets 42 days in the summer in ADDITION to all of his regularly scheduled weekend visits, fathers day weekend, etc.

(B) The 42 days extended summer possession when elected are the TOTAL number of days he gets over the entire summer period and are inclusive of any time he would have received by following the regularly elected weekend schedule.

Which is it? I am pretty certain I got the shaft last year because he added 42 days onto all regular weekends and ended up having her for a total of 58 days – leaving me absolutely no time for me to enjoy with her over the summer. Also, last year I notified him of a weekend I wanted to elect, prior to the April 15th deadline, and it did NOT interfere with father’s day – and he told me I couldn’t have it because it interfered with his extended summer possession. To my understanding, that’s the whole point of my weekend election – to put a break in-between his extended summer time if it’s a long span.

Our order is unique in one way – rather than doing the 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends throughout the year, he elects any one weekend per month (usually one with a holiday attached that is longer) to cut down on the amount of travel and cost of multiple plane tickets. The exception to this is when he has time during Thanksgiving, Christmas or Spring break and then she goes for two visits in those months. Following this, to my understanding if the calculation followed (A) as above, then he would potentially receive one weekend in June, one in July, and one in August, plus father’s day weekend in June on top of the 42 summer days which would equal approximately 50 days rather than 42 total. Last year when he elected a period that spanned over 30 days straight, I attempted to elect my one weekend and he told me I couldn’t because it interfered with his time. I found out later that he was wrong in telling me that I couldn’t elect a weekend, but by that time it was too late and I missed getting the time. He also elected my Mother’s day weekend for his visit last year in May and refused to change it, although our order says Mother’s day is always my weekend! Such a mess and unfortunately poor communication. 🙁 I want to make sure before I send anything on what weekend I elect this summer that I have a clear understanding of how this summer possession is actually supposed to work!

This year he has elected:

-June 15-17, 2012 is Father’s Day Weekend
    -Summer 1: June 17-July 9, 2012 (22 days)
    -Summer 2: July 15-August 4, 2012 (20 days)
    -July 13-15, 2012 as July weekend visit
    – One weekend in August
    =48 days

According to this, do I even get to elect a weekend?

9. Janna Graves April 24, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Question: In my decree it states, “On weekends that occur during the regular school term, beginning at 6:00pm on the first, third, and fifth Friday of each month and ending at 6:00pm on the following Sunday” my ex-husband shall have posession of our 5-year-old daughter. My decree further describes my extended summer posession as the custodial parent, stating, “If [I] give [him] written notice by April 15 of a year or gives [him] fourteen days’ written notice on or after April 16 of a year, [I] may designate one weekend beginning no earlier than the day after the child’s school is dismissed for the summer vacation and ending no later than seven days before school resumes at the end of the summer vacation, during which an otherwise scheduled weekend period of possession by [him] shall not take place in that year, provided that the weekend so designated does not interfere with [his] period or period’s of extended summer possession or with Father’s Day weekend.”
    Since it specifically states “during the regular school term,” am I required to provide our daughter to him for weekend posession (first, third, and fifth weekends) during the part of summer break that does not include his extended summer possession (July 1-31)? If I do not have to provide her for his possession in the summer excluding July, then how does that second part that I listed above apply to me?

Thank you for your help and consideration with my situation.

10. Ginger May 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

I just want to make sure I understand correctly. If the NCP lives less than 100 miles and gets 30 days during the summer then the CP gets the child one weekend during the 30 days the NCP chose and also one weekend that does not interfere with the 30 days or Fathers Day?
    For example my ex is getting our child July 15th – Aug 3rd then Aug 12th – Aug 20th, I chose my weekend during his summer possession to be July 27th-29th and I chose my other weekend to be June 6th – june 8th.
    Am I right?

11. Chris Schmiedeke May 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

You are correct on how it works.

12. Chris Schmiedeke May 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I cannot comment without seeing your decree. The provisions you describe for weekends are not as they are described in a standard possession order, meaning you may not have a standard possession order. You are going to need to see and attorney about these provisions. Good luck.

13. Chris Schmiedeke May 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

I cannot say without seeing your order and the specific language in the decree. The decree should specifically state how he should designate his time. Good luck.

14. Ginger May 21, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Ok i’m confused now after you replied that I was correct on how it works you replied 2 more times about not being able to comment cause I might not have a standard possession order or were you commenting on the others before me?
    I do have a standard possession order

15. Chris Schmiedeke May 21, 2012 at 9:22 am #

Ginger, I was replying to other posts.

16. Liz Littleton May 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Hi Chris,
    My question is similar to one above regarding the regular 1st,3rd & 5th weekend visitation AND extended summer visitation.

Does the regular weekend visitation continue in throughout June and August if he exercises the extended summer possession? He did not give notice by April 1st and therefore by default gets them July 1st-31st but he also gets them Father’s Day weekend in June (which means he gets them on a weekend that is not typically his and giving him the kids 3 weekends in a row right in the middle of June!) This would give me only 3 weekends with them all summer!!

To me, it would make more sense for it to be either continued 1st,3rd,5th visitation OR extended summer possession but he is insisting that it’s both. Which is it?

Sadly- he recently, after 4 years of divorce, has sued for custody (without any reason or justification) so he is intentionally trying to interfere with my time with the kids all around. AND if you are curious- the reason that this is just now come into question after being divorced for so long- it’s because he has NEVER taken them at all during the summer and is inconsistent with regular visitation as well.

Thanks for your help.

17. Kristina May 22, 2012 at 7:03 am #

My sons father and I made an agreement, and drew up calendars, to share our son evenly during the summer. Starting June 1st we would each take him a week until the end of July. Now he is to cancel that agreement and keep him the entire month of July. Can he do that if we already agreed on a schedule?

18. Ginger May 23, 2012 at 10:46 am #

ok thank you! 🙂

19. Chris Schmiedeke May 24, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Did you file the agreement with the Court? Was it in writing and do you have a copy? Does your visitation order state that the two of you can modify the court ordered visitation? You probably need to answer these questions to an attorney of your choice. Violating a court order can get you in trouble. Good luck.

20. Chris Schmiedeke May 24, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Liz, assuming you have a standard Texas visitation order, he would get weekends throughout the summer and his extended period in July. Have you given him notice to exercise your weekend inside his thirty day extended summer possession? Have you given him notice of taking one of his summer weekends outside of his thirty day extended summer possession? I have posted other articles on my blog about this notice and what rights you have to weekends. Please look around. Those are two additional weekends to the ones you are getting. Read your order carefully and look around this blog on visitation.

21. Patty May 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Is the father allowed to choose any 30 days in the summer? He chose July 12th – Aug 12th… is this ok?

22. Liz Littleton May 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks Chris. That stinks for me. I did not make the April 15th deadline for the weekend during his extended summer possession period because I was confused by the wording of the whole thing and he has never actually taken them during the summer (I’m still questioning whether he will this summer). Oh well, that’s something I’ll just have to learn from and make sure I get that notice in going forward. If he does not pick them up on July 1st does this mean he forfeits his entire extended summer visitation and then only gets them according to standard 1st, 3rd & 5th weekends? What about if he claims he can’t keep them during the week and only wants to get them every weekend in July? I believe from a post I read here earlier that if he doesn’t follow the 30 consecutive days then the Extended Summer Possession is forfeited but I want to make sure..

I did make a written request giving him 14 days notice of a weekend outside of his extended summer possession and he replied that he is “denying my request”. Can he do that or is that something that I simply have to designate and and give written notice of and he has no say over?

Thanks again for all of your clarification.
    Liz

23. Ginger May 30, 2012 at 11:47 am #

I have another question:

If the childs birthday lands on a Friday and it is the NCP’s weekend starting at 6 pm, does the CP get the child for the 2 hours specified in the orders? If so then the NCP’s weekend will not start until 8 pm? Correct?

24. Melinda May 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

I am the CP and we have joint custody. We live over 100 miles away from one another. My problem is that I want my son to spend 4 weeks with his father this summer and his father will only agree to 2 weeks. Does he have that option?

25. Rachel May 31, 2012 at 5:01 am #

What happens when the NCP chooses to give the child back the last week because they don’t want to take the child to VBS and wants that week back later in the summer, and is demanding it be a week that we have already made plans for?

26. Sarah May 31, 2012 at 8:48 am #

We have the SPO with the exception that my daughter just turned three this month. Summer possession schedule is divided in 3, seven consecutive day periods separated by no less than 7 days. He conveniently picked each of his 7 day periods over my weekends with my daughter so that his “weeks of possession” would back up to his weekends so he would get 9 day periods and I would miss out on my weekend.

That means even with my 1 weekend I get from him, he will have her a total of 9 weekends this summer and I will have her 4 weekends. Can he do this?

27. Cassidie May 31, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I have a daughter that is 10. She has made the all stars this year for the minor leagues. Her dad says he will not take her to practices and games while she is with him during summer visitation & so in turn she does not want to go. Is there anything I can do or does she just have to miss out on everything that she has worked so hard for? (Texas)

28. Chris Schmiedeke June 1, 2012 at 11:36 am #

There is no easy answer to this. Some Courts require them to go, some do not. My suggestion is that you contact a local attorney and bring this before the Court. They will resolve your issue. Good luck.

29. Chris Schmiedeke June 1, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Read my next to last post, I doubt there was any “convenience” about it. It was probably premeditated. If he has followed the terms of the order then he has done nothing wrong and gets those visits. Three periods in the summer is not standard, so I assume that is what you were referring to. Be sure to designate a weekend that he would have otherwise had outside his three seven day periods if your order provides for that. If it does, then that is an extra weekend. If you have specific questions about the wording of your order you need to get an attorney to review it for a nominal fee.

30. Chris Schmiedeke June 1, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Did that person meet the notice requirements to set out that week? You have your answer right there. Good luck.

31. Chris Schmiedeke June 1, 2012 at 11:42 am #

With proper notice, yes. You cannot force someone to visit.

32. Chris Schmiedeke June 1, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Wow Liz, lots of questions! I’ll try to address these one by one: In a standard possession order, if a person misses there pickup time of July the 1st (say they want to start on the 3rd) then they forfeit there extended summer possession. Do they also forfeit there 1st, 3rd and 5th visits since the extended summer supersedes them? I don’t know. Your order probably states that he cannot designate more than two periods of summer possession which would answer that question on every weekend in July.

He cannot deny your requested weekend outside his extended summer possession, if he does he will be in contempt. I think you need to talk to an attorney, or better yet, you think you can just work this out with him? That may be the best answer.

33. Chris Schmiedeke June 1, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Patty, I don’t know. Read your order. Does it say he can designate thirty days? If so, then he can. Good luck.

34. Erika June 1, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

My Texas Divorce Decree states ex has extended summer possession, (42 days), begins June 15 and ends July 27 at 6pm, if he doens’t give me written notice by April 1, which he didn’t. I get 21 days for my extended summer possession as long as it ends 7 days before regular school term begins, which the 1st day of school is August 27. I sent my request for my time to begin July 30-August 19. Ex is now saying my time has to begin July 27 at 6pm for my 21 days. Decree states I can choose any days as long as it doesn’t interfer with ex’s extended summer possession, father’s day, and ends 7 days before regular school term. According to my extended summer possession that I requested, do I get the kids the weekend of August 17-19th also as part of my request? Ex is saying I can not have the kids the 4th weekend in July, which ends his extended summer possession, July 27 at 6pm, and start my extended possession July 30 and have the kids the weekend of August 17-19.

35. Liz Littleton June 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Chris,
    Thanks so much for your help. He is beyond unreasonable and impossible to work with. He initiated a court hearing to try to reduce his child support but it wasn’t reduced because the amount is correct based on his salary. He is also in arrears 15k plus unpaid medical reimbursement of 1500. He was supposed to go to jail for 720 days for 4 counts of contempt for this but I agreed to defer it and let him be on probation after he reappears on Aug 13th. If he misses any payments then he will go to jail. Anytime I try to discuss anything with him (via phone, text and email) it turns into an argument in which I am getting cursed at and demeaned.

He still continues to deny that I have right to my designated weekend outside of his extended summer even though it explicitly says that I get it and is threatening to file a contempt order against me if I don’t make the kids available to him that weekend!!

I actually had to hire an attorney because his most recent court attempt is to file for modification of parent-child relationship (custody) without any grounds for doing so!!

Thanks for the information about his extended summer possession- I will definitely check with my attorney to clarify the 1/3/5 visitation periods for July. I’m not trying to be difficult and I want to make sure that my kids don’t get caught in the middle but I also don’t want him to just be able to take advantage and only choose the parts of the decree that he wants to comply with when it’s convenient for him.

You’ve been a great deal of help. Good luck to everyone!

36. Ginger June 4, 2012 at 6:58 am #

37. Patty June 5, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Chris, I just want to say THANK YOU for this blog… I have gone through 3 attorneys and neither of them explained the way my Orders read like you have. I had no idea about the Extended Weekend outside the 30 days and I had no idea that Thursday possessions do not take place during the summer, until I read your blogs… I’m pretty sure you get overwhelmed w/ all our questions, so again I thank you 🙂

38. Kassie June 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Our order states:

Weekends—On weekends, beginning at the time the child’s school is regularly dismissed, on the first, third,
    and fifth Thursday of each month and ending at the time the child’s school resumes after the weekend.

This is our temporary order and Mom and her attorney are saying that our summer weekends are fri6pm-sun6pm although it does not say that anywhere in our order. We are supposed to have extended standard, but her attorney did not do a great job drafting the temporary orders so there is confusion like this. Last summer we had my step son thursday-monday morning during the summer. Please help with what we should be doing for summer weekends!

39. Robyn June 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

If the child is under age 3 and we have agreed to no over night visits how does summer visitation get decided. I want to take my son to see my mother out of state for 1 week, ncp would only be missing 2 days of his day visits which I agreed to let him make up the week before and the week after. Now he is telling me since I’m taking my son out of town that he gets him also. I don’t feel comfortable with that as of yet since there still is a restraining order and he has only completed 50% of his anger management course and there has been family violence against me. We only went to court less than a month ago and ended up settling out of court. How is summer visitation decided in day visits only custody?
    Thanks!

40. Amanda June 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

I have come to two agreements with my ex on summer visitations after he has changed his mind. He now has decided he will be picking out son up today June 8th at 6 pm. I told him that this was originally one of the weekends I had put in to have our son and that I would be willing once again to work with him and meet him half way on Sunday June 10th to drop him off. He said that his lawyer has told him that since we cant come to an agreement that today is the default day for him to get our son. Is this correct? Nothing is stated i our papers about this.

41. Cindy June 15, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Chris,

I also have a question regarding the 42 days summer possesion. Since the mother gets two weekends that interupt the 42 days cant those 4 days that the mother has the child be added back on to the fathers possesion since he is actually not getting the child for 42 days its only 38?

Thanks,

42. Jermey June 19, 2012 at 9:54 am #

I get my daughter the 1st, 3rd and 5th weekend of every month. My summer vacation with her starts July 1st. She states that June 29th (which would be my 5th weekend) supercedes and she gets her and i cant get her until July 1st at 6:00 pm. How does my weekend supercede anything and conflict with her. Its my weekend and my summer vacation.

43. Veronica June 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

I have a question that has to do with summer visitation. My daughter is 2 years old and her father came to get her on June 15th for his weekend, once he was out of the area he sent me a text saying oh by the way I’m keeping her for 42 days. In our divorce decree the Long Distance Visitation states the standard summer dates are from June 15th through July 27th. I was able to find in the family codes that standard possession does not apply til they are 3. I’ve tried getting her back and tried explaining it to him showing him it states in the Texas Law but he refuses to give her back. I talked to the local pd and they said since its not in our court papers about the age he isn’t doing wrong but I completely disagree! Can someone please give me some helpful tips on what I can possibly do. The sad thing is I’m a stay at home mom and he works so he has our daughter in daycare all day rather then spending time with her or her being home w myself and her siblings. Any advice would help, thanks

44. Andi June 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Hello Chris. I, too, want to thank you in advance for the help and guidance you provide to so many.

My ex and I were divorced in June 2010. We have the Standard Order of Possession and I’m the CP.
    Since our divorce, our son (then 14) has only spent 2 (partial) weekends with his father. We live less than 10 miles from each other. He has only had Thursday visits (at our son’s request).
    My ex violated an order on the decree and I had to file a motion to enforce this past January. To retaliate, he filed a motion to reduce child support. We went to mediation where, as a last ditch bargaining tool for him, he informed us that he planned on executing his standard order of possession for the summer.
    Our son will be 17 in about 2 weeks. He wants to refuse to go with him but is afraid of consequences. My attorney advised me to tell him he should go and then leave before my ex arrives to pick him up.

My son wants to speak to the judge involved in the case, but I understand that would require a motion to modify custody and I truly feel that would damage their relationship even more.
    Does a 17 year old have any say in the matter? If he absolutely refuses (and I am not here to encourage/enforce anything), will he ‘get in trouble’ legallly?
    My exhusband is a cop and threatened to call the police when our son was 14 and didn’t want to go with him.
    I’ve tried to get him to consider at least a weekend. If he tries and his anger and depression gets worse and he leaves, could that be considered a juvenile discipline problem (ie, he’s a runaway)?
    Thank you for any help.

45. ashlee July 1, 2012 at 7:26 am #

I am married and my husband has custody of his son. His ex has possession of his son in June this year. July 1st falls on a Sunday so we get him on July 1st right? Does she still get him the following weekend as well even if she just had him for a month.

46. Gail July 9, 2012 at 10:13 am #

Can the CP keep the child if they want to and not allow the NON CP to pick up the child? What about the NON CP birthday, can they have them for that day? I am the NON CP and he will not let me pick up my son and today is my birthday but do I have that right? Should I keep on trying to get him & make police reports when I am denied??

47. Sue July 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

If the NCP split up summer possession instead of doing the 30 consecutive days, does the 6pm pick up and drop off still apply?

48. Anag July 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

If I didn’t ask for a weekend before July then I do not get a weekend with my son from July 1-31? Also am I allowed to speak to my three year old during summer break? My ex will not allow me to speak to my 3 year old 🙁

49. Krystal July 30, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I have a question….. If the ncp picks up the child for summer visitation, is it required that the cp pick the child up?

50. Greg March 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

We have the SPO and live in Texas. I am the NCP and am planning to give the CP notice of my “different summer” dates by April 1. However, she seems to believe that she has first pick of dates and that I must work around her schedule. Am I correct that as long as I meet all the criteria in the SPO, I get first choice of my 30 days in the summertime, and that she can take up to 2 weekends back if she notifies me by April 15?